Save our Advisory Council | Sauvons notre conseil consultatif

Media: Group to ensure women’s voices are heard

Telegraph-Journal
08 Dec 2012 09:01AM

When the provincial government abolished the New Brunswick Advisory Council on the Status of Women early in 2011, people decried the move as a step backward.
But at the approach of the council’s 35th anniversary, which is officially marked Saturday, the province announced that a working group has been formed to make recommendations for “new mechanisms” to help ensure women’s voices are heard in New Brunswick.

Following the collapse of the advisory council, an Ad Hoc Committee for an Advisory Council on the Status of Women was created. That committee has been meeting over the past few months to develop a more “modern structure” that would replace the former advisory council to give women “an independent voice that advises government.”
The committee, which includes community representatives that advocate for the continuation of the core functions of the former advisory council, will support the new working group.

Jeanne d’Arc Gaudet, spokeswoman for the ad hoc committee, said it’s encouraging to see the province recognize that it perhaps made a mistake in cutting all funding to the advisory council last year.

“It’s really a positive development that the province came back and recognized that maybe they made an error and they put together this (working group) to come out with recommendations to the minister about how they would want women’s issues represented in this province,” she said.

Marie-Claude Blais, the minister responsible for women’s issues, wasn’t available for comment on the new working group on Friday afternoon.

Gaudet, who’s also a past-president of the advisory council, said it’s important to remember the impact the advisory council has had on women in this province over the last 35 years.

The government appointed the first New Brunswick Advisory Council on the Status of Women on Dec. 8, 1977. The agency had the mandate to advise the government on women’s issues by recommending legislation, policies and practices, bringing awareness to the population, as well as conducting research.

“I think the New Brunswick Advisory Council on the Status of Women did a lot to advance women’s issues in this province,” she said.

Gaudet cites changes to legislation that affected family law, pay equity and creating more awareness about women’s rights.

She said when the advisory council was first established it recognized there were injustices against women and worked to correct them.

Gaudet said that while the public’s mentality has changed significantly over the past 35 years, many challenges remain.

Violence against women remains a serious problem, pay equity is an issue for many and women still have a poor showing in politics and executive-level jobs.

“We need to bring more women into the decision-making jobs,” she said.

Gaudet is hopeful that the committee’s “demands” will be taken into account as the working group develops its recommendations for the government.

“We are open to the implementation of a new mechanism with a mandate and actions that would be in line with the same objectives as the former New Brunswick Advisory Council on the Status of Women,” she said.

Advertisements

Filed under: Media/Médias

Média: «Redonner une voix indépendante aux femmes»

L’Acadie Nouvelle
8 décembre 2012, p. 10

Moncton – Jeanne d’Arc Gaudet est également la porte-parole du comité spécial pour un conseil sur la condition de la femme.

À la veille du 35e anniversaire du premier Conseil consultatif sur la condition de la femme au Nouveau-Brunswick, Mme Gaudet a pris la parole pour saluer les efforts de la ministre responsable des Questions féminines en vue de «redonner une voix indépendante aux femmes de la province.»

La ministre Marie-Claude Blais a annoncé la semaine dernière la mise en place d’un groupe de travail dont le mandat est de présenter des recommandations au gouvernement pour assurer que la voix des femmes soit entendue.

«Il s’agit d’un développement positif suite à l’abolition du conseil en 2011 et nous avons espoir que nos demandes seront réellement prises en considération», a affirmé Jeanne d’Arc Gaudet.
«Nous sommes ouvertes à ce qu’un nouveau mécanisme soit mit en place pourvu que celui-ci ait le mandat et les moyens d’atteindre les mêmes objectifs. Même si les droits des femmes ont enregistré plusieurs avancées dans les derniers 35 ans, il est toujours aussi important pour elles d’avoir une voix indépendante qui avise le gouvernement», a fait remarquer Mme Gaudet.

Filed under: Media/Médias

Communiqué de presse de le Comité ad hoc pour un conseil sur la condition de la femme: La voix des femmes au Nouveau-Brunswick 35 ans après le premier CCCFNB

2012-12-07

À la veille du 35e anniversaire du premier Conseil consultatif sur la condition de la femme du Nouveau-Brunswick (CCCFNB), moins de deux ans après son abolition, le Comité ad hoc pour un conseil sur la condition de la femme accueille favorablement les efforts de la Ministre responsable des questions féminines afin de redonner aux femmes de la province une voix indépendante.

En effet, la ministre responsable des questions féminines, Marie-Claude Blais, annonçait la semaine dernière la mise en place d’un groupe de travail, dont le mandat est de présenter des recommandations au gouvernement provincial pour assurer que la voix des femmes soit entendue.

« Il s’agit d’un développement positif suite à l’abolition, en 2011, du CCCFNB et nous avons espoir que nos demandes seront réellement prises en considération » affirme Jeanne d’Arc Gaudet, porte-parole du Comité ad hoc. Ce regroupement représente des gens de la communauté qui désirent préserver les fonctions de l’ancien Conseil consultatif. « Nous sommes ouvertes à ce qu’un nouveau mécanisme soit mis en place pourvu que celui-ci ait le mandat et les moyens d’atteindre les mêmes objectifs ».

« Même si les droits des femmes ont enregistré plusieurs avancées dans les derniers 35 ans, il est toujours aussi important pour elles d’avoir une voix indépendante qui avise le gouvernement » a fait remarquer Jeanne d’Arc Gaudet.

Il y a 35 ans, le 8 décembre 1977, le premier CCCFNB était nommé. Le but de cet organisme était d’aviser le gouvernement en recommandant des lois, des politiques et des pratiques, de sensibiliser la population, ainsi que de mener des recherches en vue d’atteindre l’égalité entre les femmes et les hommes du Nouveau-Brunswick.

L’abolition du CCCFNB au printemps 2011 avait semé la consternation dans la population.

Filed under: Media/Médias

Press Release from the Ad Hoc Committee for an Advisory Council on the Status of Women:Women’s Voices in New Brunswick 35 years after the first NBACSW

2012-12-07

With the upcoming 35th anniversary of the first New Brunswick Advisory Council on the Status of Women (NBACSW) and less than 2 years after it was abolished, the Ad Hoc Committee for an Advisory Council on the Status of Women welcomes the recent efforts of the Minister responsible for Women’s Issues in giving women of this province an independent voice once again.
The Minister responsible for Women’s Issues, Marie-Claude Blais, announced last week the establishment of a working group whose mandate is to make recommendations on possible new mechanisms to ensure women’s voices would be heard.
“This is a positive development following last year’s elimination of the NBACSW and we are hopeful that our demands will really be taken into account” explains Jeanne d’Arc Gaudet, spokesperson for the Ad Hoc Committee. This group includes representatives of the community who advocate for the continuation of the core functions of the former Advisory Council. “We are open to the implementation of a new mechanism with a mandate and actions that would be in line with the same objectives as the former NBACSW”.
“Even if we have seen some positive developments for women’s rights in the last 35 years, it is still vital for them to have an independent voice that advises the government” declared Jeanne d’Arc Gaudet.
35 years ago, on December 8th, 1977, the government appointed the first NBACSW. This agency had the mandate to advise the government on women’s issues by recommending legislation, policies and practices, bringing awareness to the population, as well as conducting research.
The abolition of the NBACSW in the spring of 2011 was a cause of dismay for many.

Filed under: Media/Médias

Pages